I don't want to be a brick in a wall. All bricks look the same and they are cemented into place, kept in rigid order. And walls divide. And life is like banging your head...

How do you sleep?

My relationship with sleep has always been strange. I have been known to sleep solidly for 16 hours straight. My wife recounts strange incidents of being unable to rouse me, "as if you're dead." And yet I can go for extended periods with little or no sleep. I once drove through the night, midnight to 7 in the morning, stopping only once for petrol.

I am visited by the night hag frequently. Scientists call it sleep paralysis. It is unbelievably terrifying.

I have not been to bed before 2am for 4 nights straight now, and I feel great. I am being busy, organised, focussed. Last week I wanted to stay in bed all day. That's not true. Last week I had a need to stay in bed all day. The simplest tasks seemed extraordinarily difficult.

There are echoes here of manic depression. I used to joke about it, but writing about yourself clarifies disparate thoughts, allows connections to be made. I need to think more about this and what it means.

You Count