I don't want to be a brick in a wall. All bricks look the same and they are cemented into place, kept in rigid order. And walls divide. And life is like banging your head...

Working for a living

Work, work and more work makes celerman a dull blogger. When I began blogging I was self-employed, my own boss, able to go home early when a blog idea struck me. I listened to talk radio all day for ideas, carried a notebook in my back pocket and filled it with quotes, incidents, events. I could blog for hours a day and still have ideas for tomorrow.

I also had time to network; read other blogs, leave comments, collect traffic. I could sit for an hour "next blogging".

Now I get up and go to work. At work I follow my timetable. I can't listen to a radio. I come home and get changed, and this last two weeks, go out to work again. My blog is a work widow. My wife is a work widow. And I don't have time for any of that widower nonsense because I'm at work!

One benefit however is that I am getting fit. I have cycled to and from work 8 out of 10 days, and the 2 days I missed were out of necessity - the necessity being that I didn't want to get blown around in black and white like Dorothy and spend the next few weeks in a coma trying to get back to Kansas. The weather has been seriously windy: A dozen people were killed on Thursday by it. My route to work is along wooded, unlit roads before sunrise. I think I made a good call. And in any case, why should I feel guilty? I bet you've been to work in your car every day.

All remnants of guilt for taking the car to work were erased this weekend anyway. Saturday I went for a run - 6.5 miles. And tonight is Sunday, so I've played football - 1 good goal and 3 useful saves.

You Count