I don't want to be a brick in a wall. All bricks look the same and they are cemented into place, kept in rigid order. And walls divide. And life is like banging your head...

Why?

Obsession is the keyword for today. My wife says I'm obsessed with blogging, but for her this has negative connotations. Talking to Martyn in the pub last night we agreed that obsession is what gives a pursuit meaning and depth. Without obsession things are mediocre and shallow.

So what is it about blogging that has got me obsessed? Why do I do it?

1. Intellectually, I think the phenomenon is fascinating. In a world in which societies are struggling to hold themselves together, people are seeking community in a virtual world. There are great philosophical questions to be explored to do with society, community and identity. Being part of this gives insight into how it functions and how it feels.

2. Creatively. I am writing and I have an audience. My writing has purpose. My head is full of creative ideas where writing and experimental art collide. This is a platform for those ideas that would otherwise go untested.

3. Personally. Blogging keeps me away from trash TV. It keeps my eyes and ears open as I search for new subjects to blog. It has also introduced me to some nice people and the sense of satisfaction from seeing people comment and return is great.

You Count