I don't want to be a brick in a wall. All bricks look the same and they are cemented into place, kept in rigid order. And walls divide. And life is like banging your head...

Spaceman

One thing I used to do when I got back home from holiday was go through all the drawers in the house. I liked to familiarise myself again with what was there. It wasn't enough to be back, I had to immerse myself in what was beneath the surface. I would go through the kitchen drawers and find stuff. I don't know if I ever found anything useful, but the process was reassuring; this was still my house and I was back.

Now, after a short break in the real world, I am here at my computer, metaphorically looking through the drawers. I have changed the desktop picture, browsed for new Linux distros, installed one or two packages. None of these activities were necessary, but they help me to feel like I am back again. I imagine one day I will disappear like a Murukami character, and exist solely in the electronic world. Someone will unplug me, and, like Neo, I will find the answers I'm looking for.

The real world really is becoming more like participating as a character in a sci-fi story. I have had 2 days holidaying in the real world, but I am glad to be back in the safe environment of hyperspace.

In the real world, I have spent two days getting used to the gadgets we bought the kids. I have enabled Em's new phone so that it can talk to my new laptop (a work laptop, not mine. The work one uses Microsoft products, so I will only use it when I have to.) I have also been enabling Jack and Isaac's PSP so that they can play games wirelessly with anyone on the planet.

When I was a kid I thought Scalextric was sci-fi!

On the news today, French Scientists have launched a rocket that will search for Earth-like planets. It seems now inevitable that humans will colonise other worlds. to boldly go...

Blogging all of a sudden seems terribly low-tech, quaint even. We use a traditional keyboard and real language to communicate about real life. It's good, old-fashioned comradeship. I'm going to get a pipe and slippers in the sales. Actually, I'm wearing my slippers, and the pipe will kill me, but you know what I mean.

The real world has become the hyperreal. It is more fiction than the blogosphere. Stories become real. Science fiction becomes fact. Technology advances so quickly, it is leaving me behind. Blogging has become my cosy leather arm chair. The computer is the roaring fire.

I'm going to book another holiday in the real world around new year, but for now I'm glad to be back in familiar surroundings.

You Count